September 22, 2013

Verify Students' Understanding of Behavioral Expectations





Teaching expectations is important, but it is also important to verify that your students have learned the behavioral expectations. In chapter 5, Sprick (2009) describes two techniques teachers can use to better understand what their students have learned, quizzes and interviews. For the purpose of this blog I have focused my classroom management and discipline plan on third grade students. With this age group, and my personal preferences, I feel that I would best verify my students’ understandings by conducting interviews with my students. I am a firm believer in using qualitative approaches within a classroom whenever a reflective analysis is needed. Since interviews are time consuming I would choose a representative sample of students, four to six students of differing ability levels, to see where approximately most of my students’ misconceptions or deep understandings lie. Using the information I gained I would then re-teach as needed.

Note: Interview questions would simply be derived from CHAMPS expectations and be asked in as an open-ended question as to not be leading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment