September 15, 2013

Classroom Structure

Sprick (2009) defines a classroom management and discipline plan as “a framework that supports a variety of rituals, routines, rules, consequences, and motivational techniques” (p. 107). This framework is essential as the techniques can be used to ensure that students are academically engaged and emotionally thriving. Educators should consider every aspect of their classroom management and discipline prior to school starting and then make adjustments based on their students’ unique needs.

Level of structure is the first aspect educators should reflect on- “will you need to develop a low-, medium-, or high-structure management plan by taking into account your personal needs and the collective needs of your students?” (Sprick, 2009, p. 108). Sprick states that these two factors shape the level of structure which would best work in a classroom. On a personal note I had a bit of hesitation when I first read this. Sprick focuses a great deal on ensuring that the educator’s personal needs and preferences are considered. He does reason that an educator must be a positive and energetic force and can only do so if they are comfortable in the classroom. However I am reluctant to place as much priority on this factor as it could potential keep the student from receiving the true level of structure they need. I would then say that these factors do not necessarily hold equal weight, but rather the students’ needs take priority. This argument errs in a similar trajectory to the age-old question, what comes first the chicken or the egg, as it is hard to unpack which factor should be considered first. Regardless, I agree with Sprick’s notion that educators should constantly be reflecting on their own pedagogical beliefs and personal preferences.


In completing Sprick’s (2009) Classroom Management and Discipline Planning Questionnaire (Figure 3.1, p. 111), it confirmed my own reflections that as an educator I can would be able to respond to the  demands of a low-structure management plan. I then completed the Management and Discipline Planning Questionnaire (Reproducible 3.1), which will follow this post. This questionnaire was completed based on the fictional classroom context posted previously. The results of this questionnaire state that my risk factors are medium and my students would benefit from either a medium-structure or high-structure management plan. It is important to consider which level of structure to first implement as it is much easier to move to a lower structure than to try an add structure. In this classroom context I would plan to begin my school year with implementing a high-structure management plan. I would then frequently reflect on the structure and plan to evaluate my students’ needs for structure at least once a month to ensure I am providing them with the appropriate level of structure necessary optimize growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment