September 22, 2013

Using Data to Monitor and Adjust My Classroom Management and Discipline Plan

Sprick (2009) uses chapter 6 to discuss various methods for collecting data within a classroom. I found this chapter, and its resources, to be VERY helpful in terms of categories of data that would be important to collect. Below is a list of these different categories and a short explanation of how I would use it.

Daily Reality Rating Scale – This data collection chart contains a list of all of the CHAMPS behavioral expectations along with a five-point Likert scale. The purpose of this scale would be to assist reflection on students’ ability to achieve behavioral expectations after each activity and transition. In addition to simply recording my observations, I would also make place to note any specific circumstances that could potentially be affecting student behavior. The addition of these notes may help to better analyze and make connections later on.  I would use this type of data collection as often as possible. The more data collected, the more likely I will be able to draw accurate conclusions about my students’ unique needs.

Interactions Monitoring Form – This form serves the purpose of determining whether a teacher is responding to a student because of they are meeting/exceeding behavioral expectations (praise) or for correction. Collecting data based on time of day, behavior, or student would give the teacher specific data based on their need. I would use all three of these forms throughout the school year. I would begin with the time of day data collection and from there determine which would best meet my specific need. I would then use the data I collected to analyze my performance and create a plan to modify my interactions.

Recording Student Misbehavior - Data collection of student misbehavior is important as it helps teachers to identify patterns of student misbehavior and can be shared with students and their families if necessary. Chapter 6 presents four different misbehavior forms that could be used to record data by student daily or weekly. Each of these charts contains the student name and a small box to note misbehavior using a letter code. This type of data collection is useful, but I feel that it would not be comprehensive enough to notice patterns with. Similar to the previous forms, I would add space to write additional notes in. These notes would help to identify more accurate patterns of misbehavior. After noticing a pattern I could then more closely observe that single student and collect data in a more concentrated manner. This practical and accurate method for tracking a student’s targeted and problematic behavior would be somewhat easy to use and would only consist of a form/observation sheet to record on. If students’ behavior persists I would then ask another teacher or faculty member to come into my classroom as it is often difficult to collect every data point while teaching the whole class. This faculty member would observe and collect data on ONE student, at three separate times. Then together we would analyze the results and create an action plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment